A customer in Falmouth with a newer home and large backyard wanted a low maintenance deck durable enough to stand up to tough Maine winters. I modified an existing design provided by the homeowner and built a custom 52′ x 12′ deck using Ipe, one of the most durable hardwoods available, and powder coated aluminum posts. Materials like the cablerail result in an unobstructed view of this wooded backyard . Give me a call or send me an email if you are interested in building a deck. Whether you have your own design, have ideas, or need a custom design, I will work with you to build something you and your family will enjoy.
A customer with a home built in 1910 came to me with a challenge. She wanted a kitchen with more storage, more counter space, and room for standard appliances – without expanding the existing footprint. I designed a solution that kept the footprint intact, maximized placement of the cabinets and standard appliances (e.g., a much needed dishwasher), and included new features such as an opening to the dining room with a bar. No additional square footage was added and there is more usable space to prepare meals and entertain guests.
Here’s a very large 500 square foot deck I built in South Portland. The guardrail was built from Douglas Fir and the Classic Aluminum Balusters from Deckorators. The homeowner applied a clear UV sealer to the decking and guardrail to prevent the wood from graying.
This is a small kitchen I did using the quick ship cabinet options from Home Decorators line at Home Depot. The cabinets are very solid for the price. All of the boxes are birch plywood and cost about the same as the particle board options that KraftMaid offers. The best thing about these cabinets was the quick turn around time, they were delivered only 10 days after I ordered them. The solid surface counter top is made from Corian, and was chosen primarily for its quick fabrication time.
I recently built some shaker style radiator covers for a customer in South Portland. The covers were constructed using birch plywood and poplar. We used SketchUp to design the covers and finalize the look before any building took place. One of the covers was made for a child’s room and has built in storage.
This past fall I replaced a carrying beam supported by steel tubes that were buried directly in the ground sometime in the 1970’s. The beam was rotten and the ends of the steel posts had broken at ground level.
I began by removing the old beam and leveling the structure using a temporary girder and bottle jacks. Then new 8″ diameter concrete footings were placed 48″ below grade to support 6″ x 6″ posts. A seat notch supports each side of the the beam which was constructed using three plies of 2″ x 12″ Douglas fir. Copper flashing on the top and ends prevents water and ice from entering the space between the plies.
I didn’t get a chance to take a picture of the final step – I added cleats below the splice on each side of the 6″ x 6″ post to support the ends of the beams’ center ply. The cleats are attached to the posts with 5/8″ galvanized threaded rod.
This is a deck I built in Portland using TimberSil from Maine Green Building Supply. TimberSil is a non-toxic alternative to standard pressure treated lumber.
This project began as a hand drawn sketch a customer gave me. With his input, I created many revisions in SketchUp to which we added a lot of unique features – low voltage LED disc lights, concealed lighting under the countertop, hidden fasteners in the decking, and a custom milled two piece riser. The framing is constructed from pressure treated southern yellow pine. The decking, rail, posts and trim is Cumaru from Bozovich Timber Products.
The original porch on this old farmhouse in Cape Elizabeth was supported by ant infested pine timbers buried in the soil. The whole structure was on the verge of collapse. I installed temporary supports for the roof, removed the old porch,then replaced it with this one. The new concrete footings with pressure treated posts supporting the structure should last for many years to come.
I installed this window to replace a similar one that had begun to rot due to inadequate flashing. I removed the cedar shingles on the exterior and replaced the water damaged sheathing and framing. Then I flashed the opening with butyl rubber tape and installed the window with plenty of silicone. I applied another layer of flashing over the exterior nailing fin on the windows and re-installed the cedar shingles and the interior trim.
Here’s a new kitchen I designed and installed for a home in South Portland. After the old kitchen cabinets were removed, the homeowner decided to have new flooring installed in the house as well. I put down prefinished maple in the kitchen, living room, and hallways on the first floor and made new thresholds for the doorways. The kitchen cabinets are maple with a cherry finish by American Woodmark